Monday, May 5, 2014

Product Review: Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation


#NotPaleo people.  This is a product review for Revlon Colorstay Whipped foundation.  I have worn the regular colorstay foundation in the bottle for quite some time- I like that they have two formulations, one for normal skin and one for combination, and I had tried the whipped version once before but in the wrong shade, so couldn't really make a clear decision on it.  As summer approaches I am rethinking my foundation collection- to include more BB creams and tinted moisturizers.  No one likes cake face in 80% humidity.  Ick.  So I have repurchased an old fave, Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer, and will also be using a lot of my IT Cosmetics CC cream and Benefit Better than BB.  But there will still be days when I want something a bit more full coverage and for those days, I picked Revlon Colorstay Whipped.  I find it is just as long-wearing as the regular colorstay foundation, and quite full coverage, but the formulation is totally different.  It is creamy, somewhat mousse-y and very thick, and a little goes a long way.  As you can see from the picture, it comes in a glass jar, so you have to scoop out product with your finger or brush or some other delivery system, which is not very sanitary and totally gross in my opinion, but whatevs.  The big difference for me is that this formulation contains salicylic  acid, which is a pore-clearing agent and sloughs off dead skin cells and generally works to clear skin.  For my skin, salicylic acid in the summer is a must.  Humidity tends to melt makeup and when combined with sweat, you have a recipe for clogged pores within five minutes of being outdoors.  Uh, no thanks.  So a foundation with some SA is going to help your makeup go the distance in the heat.

So for the review- here is what I like.  I like that is medium to full coverage.  When using a flat kabuki or dense buffing brush, it gives a flawless satiny finish, not crazy matte so you look dead.  I like that I have to do minimal concealing (well, I never conceal anything except undereyes so I guess that is stupid to say) and I like that it actually starts to look better at about hour 2 of wear.  It lasts an incredibly long time before it starts breaking up, on me.  I went about 10 hours before I needed a touch up, but by hour 14 it was looking seriously rough.  Normally I do not wear makeup for 14 hours straight but it was a very long day.  I think a solid 10 hours of wear is pretty great.  That is still quite a bit longer than I would normally have on a full face.  Mind you, most of the 14 hours were spent inside.  Would it hold up if I were outside all day? Hells no.  Coming in and out a few times during a hot summer day?  Maybe.  Probably.  More so than any of my other full coverage foundations.

All in all, definitely a thumbs up.  I would say this is a must-purchase drugstore product if you are like me and want a fuller coverage, long-wearing foundation and have combi skin.  In fact, drugstore or not, both the colorstay foundations are great purchases.

I wear Sand Beige, and am NC20 for reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment