But seriously, what is a GFG? Here is some info from Grain Free Living.
List of Grain and Grain-Free Foods
Written by Grain Free Living
Foods that are grains, or are made from grains are:
- Barley, including barley malt
- Sorghum (gluten free)
- Corn (gluten free)
- Cornflour (gluten free unless the wheaten cornflour)
- Cornmeal (gluten free)
- Rice (gluten free)
- Wild Rice (although not related to rice it is still of the Poaceae family of cereal grasses, so technically, still a grain)
- Millet (gluten free)
- Beer (yes, beer!)
- Glucose made from wheat
- Teff (gluten free)
- Montina flour
- Graham flour (wheat)
- Commercially made stock: like chicken, beef or vegetable stock in either powder or liquid usually contains some kind of grain.
- (this list is incomplete)
Foods that are grain free, even though they are often used as a flour or look a bit like a grain are:
- Buckwheat also called Kasha
- Chickpeas (made into flour)
- Coconut (used in flours)
- Fava bean
- Gram flour (chickpea)
- Potato Starch/Flour
- Taro flour
- Glucose made from tapioca
- Plantain flour (can get at African grocers)
- Yam (iyan) flour (can get at African grocers)
- Mesquite flour
Dairy products, or anything from an animal like milk, cheese, butter or meat do not contain grains.
All fruits and vegetables are not grains, (except for corn, which is a grain).