Sunday, August 21, 2011

Frozen, Raw, Pecan Pie, Cashew Fudge, and Marinated Flank Steak on the Grill

I recently saw a recipe for a Raw Pecan Pie at Gluten Free Easily- and was so excited to try it myself.  But usually, with recipes like that, you have to wait until you're entertaining to give it a whirl.  So last night, we headed over to a friends' for dinner and I decided that was the perfect opportunity to try it out.  Of course, my recipe was modified, and I also made the decision to freeze it, to make it a bit more summery.  But it was an absolute delight, and so easy.  The original recipe called for honey in both the crust, and filling, which I omitted and did not miss at all.  Try it out!  Makes 4 large portions, or 5-6 smaller ones.  I did not have a 5 inch pie plate, so used a 6 inch round casserole dish.

Raw, Vegan, Gluten and Sugar Free Frozen Pecan Pie
2 cups pecans, 1 cup of which should be frozen
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp liquified coconut oil
1/2 cup dried pitted dates, soaked for 10 minutes in 1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

Process 1 cup frozen pecans for a minute, then adding 1 tbsp oil.  Process until crumbly and and finely ground.  Press into 5 or 6 inch round dish.  Then, add second cup of pecans, and date/water mixture and vanilla, and cinnamon and pinch of salt to processor and blend until everything is well combined and dates and pecans are well combined.  Add a splash of water if necessary.  Pour date mixture over crust and spread out evenly.  Freeze for a few hours before serving.  I covered mine with plastic wrap, which you could probably skip.  There was not a single bite leftover!  If you like pecans, you will die for this dessert!

I've also had a single serving pack of Artisana Cashew Butter laying around for awhile, and I knew I would never eat it.  So I made Cashew Fudge with a leftover half banana from S's breakfast, and it is amazing!  Better than Peanut Butter Fudge I think!

Cashew Freezer Fudge
2 tbsp cashew butter
2 tbsp coconut butter, I used homemade
3 tbsp cocoa powder, or less if you don't want it to be quite as chocolatey
1/2 overripe banana

Blend everything together and spread into square plastic container and freeze and/or stick in the fridge for a few hours.  It is amazing!

Summer is almost over- munchkinhead's birthday will pretty much mark the end of it.  This summer has been the sweetest, most fun, most exciting, happiest, and longest summer of my entire life.  Between working around the clock, our fabulous fun Door County vacation, a couple visits to Chicago, and watching S grow up into the big girl she is now- it really has been quite the summer.  And certainly one of the hottest I have ever experienced.  So we are going to enjoy the last few Sunday Summer nights and grill out and take it easy tonight.  I love nights like these.  They are magic.  I've had a flank steak marinating all day, and we have some broccolini and mushrooms to throw on the grill, and a simple spinach salad.  The marinade is not only super simple- but requires no "special" ingredients at all.  Here it is!

Easy Flank Steak Marinade
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
juice of one lemon
3 tbsp EVOO, I used Meyer Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne
1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

You can marinate the steak for up to 24 hours in the fridge.  I also scored the meat on both sides to help the flavors soak in.  The steak can be grilled or broiled. 

My Paleo NOatmeal Protein Cookies are all gone so I'll have to come up with something else to try.  I have never made a cookie using coconut flour, so I'm interested to see how that would work.  So stay tuned for that!  That's all for today- enjoy these last few weeks of summer, it'll be chilly and sweater weather before you know it! XoXoGFG

No comments:

Post a Comment