Friday, August 26, 2011

Use What You Have Friday

These are LIFESAVERS


Trader Joe's Melange of Bell Peppers has saved use what you have night on more than one occasion.  This bag of frozen veg is honestly becoming one of those "go-to" products that I absolutely can't live without.  The number of peppers you'd have to buy and then slice is just totally not worth it once you've gotten a bag of these one-pound wonders.  They are phenomenal.  I'm tempted to maybe never buy fresh peppers again.  Of course I will, for grilling, but for a simple veggie stir fry these cannot be beat- I think they are $1.99 a bag.  

Tonight was a turkey kielbasa (also from TJ's, fully cooked and 94% lean and delish!), red onion, and bell pepper stir fry.  Yum!  I heated up EVOO and cooked some onion until browned, then threw in the remaining grape tomatoes I had in the fridge, and sauteed.  A few minutes later adding in the peppers and juice, and finally the sausage, just to warm through.  Served with a rosemary Socca- it was a great, easy, and efficient meal!  And that was Use What You Have Friday!  Tonight's socca was an improvement over the last two- because I baked it by itself in the oven for 35 minutes at 425.  I used 1 cup chickpea flour to 1 cup water, plus 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp dried rosemary.  I would really like to find a 10 inch cast iron so I can try it again on the stovetop.  

I also had a few minutes to whip up some more coconut butter (which has gotten 100% easier to make since I got the ninja- I process 2 cups of coconut powder from the Indian market in the cuisi for about 5 minutes, then another 2 min in the ninja et voila! perfect coconut butter.) as well as some chocolate peanut raisin balls and cherry almond bites.  

Cherry Almond Bites
1 cup dried unsweetened bing cherries
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
1 tsp vanilla

Blend, then shape into bites!

Chocolate Peanut Raisin Balls
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup peanuts
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Blend, then form into balls!

We had a nice, somewhat relaxing evening- as relaxing as an evening with a 1 year old can be right?  Usually S likes peppers but tonight- not so much.  Luckily- she happily ate everything once it was slathered in tomato basil hummus- again from TJ's.  I know, just get a job at TJ's already. 

4 comments:

  1. you made coconut butter in your ninja?
    I'm going to have to try that.

    I wanted to whip up some this weekend and try those vanilla cupcakes and coconut butter frosting but didn't get that far!

    still on my to do list!
    Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy! So I process cocoa powder (from the indian market) in the cuisinart for like, four minutes- then finish it in the ninja for another three minutes maybe. it doesn't have that gross grainy texture that you get from only using the processor. i think the ninja on its own would work tho, maybe just trying a small batch the first time. let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe I missed something.
    I buy unsweetened coconut flakes and huck them in my blender for a few mintues. I think I remember reading your blender is on the fritz.

    Mine is no vita mix but it works after a few minutes.

    what is coconut powder? never heard of it.

    do you have a magic bullet? That thing rocks too.

    ReplyDelete