Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Grain-Free Sugar-Free Coconut "Rice" Pudding

O.  M.  G.  Who knew that simmering coconut milk and shredded unsweetened coconut (I actually prefer coconut powder from the indian market, cheaper and smaller flakes) for an hour could make such a yummy, filling, and satisfying dessert?  Last week's coconut porridge recipe was the inspiration for this treat.  I know I said I'm trying to detox a little bit right now and get away from treats, but this is just so simple and chock-full of magical coconut, I couldn't help it.

I used to love love love rice pudding.  In college one year instead of a birthday cake one of my roommates actually made me rice pudding, that's how much I loved it!  Knowing how thick and decadent canned full-fat coconut milk is, I thought it really shouldn't be too difficult to make some kind of coconut pudding.  I couldn't decide, eggs, or no eggs?  Custardy, or puddingy?  In the end I decided not to use eggs, and I'm so glad!  Besides being a little time-consuming, this is an awesome dessert/snack, and a great way to help you get more coconut in your diet.

Coconut "Rice" Pudding (makes 6-8 servings)
2 cans full fat coconut milk
2 cups coconut powder or unsweetened shredded coconut
1 empty can-full of water
1 1/2 tsp (or more) cinnamon
35 drops vanilla creme stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions are really not necessary!  Combine everything in your pot and simmer until thickened, about an hour, stirring regularly.  It will get even thicker in the fridge.  YUMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment