Saturday, April 14, 2012

Crazy Good Banana Cake, No Sugar Added, Grain-Free

This is kind of an old-school type recipe.  I felt like my nana throwing together an "ice-box" cake or something.  I don't know why.  Well, I do know why.  It's because my recipe uses a box of instant pudding.  Kinda weird.  And a major Paleo fail.  Will I ever be paleo?  Who the heck knows.  That would mean no more cheese.  Or hummus.  Or peanut butter.  hmmmm…..

anyways, I have had a box of instant no sugar pudding in my pantry forever.  Why I decided to use it today I can't be sure.  All I know is that it's Friday, we are having our usual shabbat dinner, and I wanted to try something new.  Absolutely nothing on Pinterest looked fun in the dessert department (although I've recently found a bunch of yummy looking entree recipes) and even when I searched dessertstalker for Paleo recipes, still, blah.  But I had this god-damn box of pudding and two sad brown bananas, or ninas as S calls them, so that was that.

Crazy Good Banana Cake, No Sugar Added, Grain-Free
3/4 cup almond flour (I've just recently started using the cheapo kind from TJ's that is not as finely ground, it's fine)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 package SF vanilla instant pudding mix
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, preferably pastured
1/4 cup oil (currently I am using walnut for it's favorable omega 3:6 ratio, but grapeseed, coconut, or canola will surely work)
1/2 cup milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc, or maybe even water (if your bananas are really watery, you may need less)

In a large mixing bowl combine your pudding mix, almond and coconut flours, baking powder, and salt, and stir well to get out any lumps.  In a separate bowl, mix your eggs, vanilla, oil, and mashed bananas.  Add your milk.  Then pour wet into dry and incorporate.  Pour into 8" square cake pan lined with parchment.  Bake at 350.  You know the drill- my oven is from crazy town so check it after 20 min. or so and watch for the top to brown.

The batter for this cake is insane.  And I don't even care much for bananas anymore ever since I stopped eating them.  But holy sh*t it is good.  It's b.a.n.a.n.a.s. people.

In other news, Friday's are my day off- so S and I normally go to playgroup in the morning.  No playgroup today because of Passover.  So we went to the library instead.  Someone take my crack pipe AWAY from me next time I think it's a good idea to take my loud tornado baby to the quiet library.  That girl is louder than the entire pre-school class at our synagogue.  And she could probably eat more than all of them combined too, but that's another story entirely.  But we had lots of fun.  And checked out lots of books.  I wish there were more indoor playground type places around here for little mini-tornados like S.  Like this place in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment