Monday, April 9, 2012

Sugar-Free Macaroons

Another shiteous pic of something really super yum.  Sorry, I have not reached that level in food bloggingdom where I start to care about pics and do photo shoots and all that.  But rest assured, these are really freaking good.

There are a zillion macaroon recipes on the interwebs right now, some use honey, some use agave, maple syrup even, but none that I could find using SF sweeteners.  Until now!

This recipe worked awesome using a combo of xylitol and erythritol.  I did melt some SF choc chips for a few of them just for kicks.  SF chocolate chips are easy to find, hershey's makes them, but they are made with sugar alcohols which bother some people.

Really easy guys.  I made these using Let's Do Organic Coconut Flakes rather than shredded, which is great and they turned out really good, but take a bit longer to cook through I think.  I have also finally come to the realization that my oven is wayyyyyyyyyyy cooler (temp wise) than most.  I am almost scared to test it out and find out for myself.  But I really should, because my baked goods tend to take a lot longer to cook than they should.  Which is why I am always saying- bake until the knife comes out clean or until browned or whatever.  I don't even pay attention to the time anymore when I'm baking- something that should take 20 min takes 45.

So- back to the macaroonies.  Do you like them?  They seem to be quite divisive.  You love 'em or you hate 'em.  Coconut is the culprit.  How do you not love coconut.  I could eat it all day.

If you like them, try this recipe.  Don't be afraid of erythritol either.  I use it all the time.  It is not like splenda or equal or some god awful chemical

Sugar-Free Macaroons
10 ounces unsweetened coconut flakes
6 egg whites (i was using large eggs, not extra large)
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3/4 cup granular sweetener (in my case, 1/2 cup erythritol and 1/4 cup xylitol)

Combine ingredients in a large sauce pan and cook until coconut loses that raw bite to it, stirring regularly, then refrigerate for an hour or so.  I have this awesome 2 ounce coffee scoop that works great as a cookie scoop, so thats how mine were shaped into these perfect little mounds.  Bake at 325 until golden and cooked through- probably 20 min.  Have a convection oven?  Even better.  This made I think 24 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment