Sunday, July 15, 2012

Paleo Barbecue Sauce

I live in Kansas City, a town with arguably the best barbecue you will find anywhere.  Not being from here originally, I can't say I'm as staunch fan as others, like my husband for example, but I will admit we have some damn good bbq.  What kind of sauce do you like?  Sweet?  Thick? Runny?  Vinegary?  Spicy? Hot? Tomato-y?  Every town has a different kind.  And no, KC Masterpiece is nothing like the sauce we actually eat here.  Blah.

Most conventional bbq sauces are made with molasses and/or sugar and god knows what else.  Some people don't care for any sweetness in their sauce, but I like a little bit.  So I chose to make this sauce with some no sugar tart cherry preserves I picked up in the Door last weekend.  It did not disappoint.  I have also seen it made with apple butter, which is another great idea.  I suggest subbing the cherry preserves for apple butter if you don't have access to good tart cherry jam/preserves, just make sure it is just fruit, nothing else.

This comes together in 15 min tops.  Makes a great marinade too!  I marinated chicken thighs in a ziploc bag with the sauce yesterday for 4 hours and the chicken was amazing.  Try it!

Paleo Barbecue Sauce
1/2 onion
2 tsp minced garlic
6 oz tomato paste
1/4 cup homemade ketchup, or organic no sugar ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp tart cherry preserves
1 1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 clove
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
pinch of ground pepper

Process your onion and garlic in the food processor until you have a liquid, its ok if there are a few chunks.  Pour into a pot and heat on med-high and dump in all your other ingredients.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.  Taste and season accordingly.  You may want a little more vinegar, water or preserves.  The flavors will develop in the fridge too.

Yummy yummy!  Try it out and let me know what you think! XoXoGFG

1 comment: