Saturday, September 22, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin Bars!!!


This recipe represents me getting over two irrational fears- well not fears exactly, just a couple things I have been avoiding, I don't know why.  Typically any recipe using almond butter as the base has always scared me away.  Call me crazy, but almond butter is not really my fave!  That's why another GREAT nut butter to work with for this would be cashew or pecan butter.  But if you don't have any- use almond butter.  It will not taste overwhelmingly almond butterish.  I have also never ever ever used coconut cream concentrate!  I know!  I am crazy!  That sh*t is incredible.  What was I thinking?  It's like the thickest whipped cream you could imagine, but sugar and dairy free and so gosh darn good for you!  The frosting for this recipe, which I highly recommend, is not much more than a little CCC, some pumpkin pie spice, and sweetener.  Get some.  TJ's now has it canned folks.

Paleo Pumpkin Bars
1 cup mild nut butter (almond, cashew, or pecan)
1 cup organic pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract (optional)
1 tbsp organic pumpkin pie spice
2/3 cup liquid sweetener (like SF syrup, maple syrup, honey, coconut nectar, etc)
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Frosting:
5-6 tbsp CCC
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus a bit more for sprinkling
3 tbsp liquid sweetener

In a large bowl, mix up ALL your ingredients.  One bowl peeps, can't complain about that!  Save yourself some trouble though, and make sure your nut butter has no lumps in it before adding it to the bowl.  For instance, if you've had it for awhile and it has dried out a little.  Mix it all well and transfer to a parchment lined 9x9.  Bake at 350 until a knife comes out just clean.  25-30 minutes ish.  Let it cool while you mix the frosting.  If it is warm when frosting, you'll melt the CCC.  If you are in a rush, don't worry, because it will firm up in the fridge.  When finished, refrigerate and enjoy!  This could even be enjoyed for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment