Monday, December 19, 2011

(Cheese)Burger Soup

Pinterest is truly the best invention of 2011.  Well, who knows when it actually rolled out but I discovered it in 2011 and am eternally grateful.  I just love the darn thing so much.  Scrolling through my favorite categories and boards is always an inspiration.  I see recipes I want to try, tricks for the home, products I'm interested in, articles, books, you name it.  So this soup recipe was inspired by Pinterest as well.  As usual, I see a recipe, like the premise, but end up changing most of the ingredients.  Same goes for my (Cheese)Burger Soup.  Weird name, great taste!

(Cheese)Burger Soup (serves at least 8)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 32 oz carton reduced sodium beef broth
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 package ground meat, lean turkey or beef (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 cup of grated sharp cheddar
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 or 4 large carrots, chopped
1 tbsp celery salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
seasoned salt, salt, and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, brown your onions in a bit of EVOO.  Add ground meat and brown the meat.  Pour off your fat once the meat is browned.  Add celery and carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 7 minutes or so.  Then add broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and season generously.  Since your broth is reduced sodium you'll definitely need to season the soup up.  I didn't want to overspice it but some cayenne or a dash of red pepper flakes would be awesome.  The longer you cook this the better but 45 minutes is really the minimum.  Before serving, reheat and then add your rinsed and drained beans.  This will of course be better on day two!  Sprinkle the top with cheddar to make it a cheeseburger soup!  Yum!!  S had a bowl, and then M and I each had quite a bit, and there was still more to fill two containers.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment