Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Crockpot Beef Stew

I finally did it!  Pulled out my ginormous crockpot I've had since one of my bridal showers over three years ago.  I don't know why but I was always a little hesitant to use it.  Maybe because it's such a beast.  Takes up a lot of space on the counter that's for sure.  Most beef stew recipes call for potatoes, which I left out.  I think that with plenty of vegetables (throw them in frozen even) you'll have a hearty meal all the same.  I made this recipe last Friday- but have had a not-so-fun stomach flu the past few days and eating/cooking has not been high up on my list of priorities.  Anyways- I will definitely be trying out many more recipes in the crockpot as this turned out great.  Just beware, if you've never used your crockpot before, don't assume the cooking time on the recipe will be true for your crockpot, and the size of the pot will also alter cooking speeds and how much liquid you need. 

Crockpot Beef Stew (Serves 3)
1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
1 can of tomato paste
2 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1 package sliced button mushrooms
2 cups baby carrots
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 cup beef broth, vegetable broth, or water
1/2 tsp minced garlic
add frozen veggies as desired, green beans, asparagus, spinach, etc.

If you have time, brown your stew meat first in a bit of oil with S&P.  If you don't, no worries.  Into your crockpot, toss your beef, veggies, balsamic vinegar, seasonings, tomato paste, and broth.  Stir so tomato paste is well distributed.  If adding frozen veg, add these last.  Set your crockpot either to high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8, depending on how big your crockpot is, how old it is, etc.  Super easy, and dinner done with almost no effort and NO DISHES!  Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Love stew around here! If only my boys liked mushrooms, I think that would make a wonderful addition to the stew. Love the balsamic vinegar addition, I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're trying out crockpot recipes. I have a crockpot as well but don't use it as often as I would like to. Maybe you'll inspire me to pull mine out more often.

    ReplyDelete