Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Now Every Day Can Be a PAYDAY!

Candy.  I used to looooooove candy.  Well, I still looooooove candy, but it does NOT looooooooove me back.  Nope.  Not at all.  I know all the cool bloggers out there say stuff like "oh ever since I gave up sugar/sweets/crack etc, I can't stand the taste of it anymore!  It's positively grotesque to me now!" and so on.  That's great for them.  I'm happy for them.  Yay.  But me?  I miss candy.  Bread, meh.  Pasta, barf.  Even cereal and granola, two staples of my diet in my previous life, I can easily do without.  But candy?  Now that, I miss.  


One of my faves was PayDay.  I had a lot of faves, I also loved Baby Ruth, snickers, anything with dark chocolate, and a bunch of other crap.  Speaking of crap- do you know what PGPR is?  Take a look at the ingredients in a "chocolate" bar next time you see one.  Chances are, you'll see PGPR on the list of ingredients, and for sure if it's a Hershey's product.  What is it you ask?  Oh just an ingenious lab-created replacement for real cocoa butter, as in, the main ingredient in CHOCOLATE.  Yes, you see, why actually use real cocoa butter and chocolate in your CHOCOLATE bar if you can use something cheaper, artificial, lab-created, and a pitiful approximation of the real thing.  So if you are eating a Hershey's chocolate bar- well, sorry, but you're really eating Polyglycerol polyricinoleate.  Want to know more?  Read this.


Oops, sorry for that crazy tangent.  I really just wanted to talk about candy, and how I used to devour it, and love it.  But you know what?  I can make candy.  With real ingredients.  Without sugar.  That tastes awesome.  That is stupid easy to make.  Nothing artificial or gross.  You can pronounce everything in it.  It won't send you into sugar shock either.  And it's better than any flippin' PayDay I ever had.  If I can give up candy, so can you.  Try this, and you'll see.  It's so much better!


Homemade PayDay that isn't full of sh*t
8-10 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup salted peanuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp pastured butter


Pulse your dates and peanuts until peanuts are teeny tiny specks.  Then, with the motor on, pour in your vanilla, and drop in some salt and your butter.  Pulse until just incorporated.  Spread mixture out onto wax paper and press flat with your hand.  Refrigerate for a few hours, then cut up as desired.  These are insanely good.  You know how sometimes you make a recipe, and you're almost disappointed by how good it is?  Because that means you are going to eat more of than you should?  That's how I feel about this.  So make it at your own risk.  But still, scarfing down a bunch of this stuff is a million times better than eating some artificial piece of junk made like a year ago in a factory halfway across the world.  #AmIRight?


Enjoy GFG's, XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment