Sunday, May 6, 2012

New Recipe (Finally) Mixed Veggie Muffins

So it's been awhile since I posted a new recipe- there kind of a lot of reasons for that, which I won't bore you with, but one of them being that it has been NINETY degrees much of this past week and while I love my oven more than words can say- that damn thing heats up my entire house.  And, to top it off, I am dead set against turning on the AC before June, so needless to say we are all sweltering and constantly moping around in sweaty, cranky, puddly messes.  I am evil, I know.  Evil and cheap.  Very cheap.

Anyways- on to the recipe.  Last night we were at First Friday's in the Crossroads- good times!  The First Friday of every month, but mainly May-Oct, all the art galleries downtown open up and serve wine, play live music, and it's generally a really f'ing good time!  Lately, there's been a food truck meet up too, which we decided to check out.  My man Bourdain would enjoy it.  And my little hippo also enjoyed it too (duh)  however, there were no veggies of course, and I found myself wishing I had brought along some kind of portable and delicious veggie for her that would be yummy and edible in 90 degree heat.  Thus, the mixed veggie muffin was born.

Mixed Veggie Muffin (Grain-Free, Gluten-Free)
1 bag of your preferred mixed frozen veggies (or in my case, 2 half eaten bags, plus a handful or two of frozen cauli)
2 eggs
1 cup chickpea flour/besan
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
11/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds

Thaw your veggies, then blend them until pretty smooth in a blender.  Don't skip this next step!  Drain them in sieve lined with a paper towel and get as much juice out as you can, or these muffins will never set up and be soggy/mushy.  Once you've gotten as much water out as you can, dump the veg back into the blender and add your eggs, chia, salt, pepper, and baking powder.  Blend a minute more until well incorporated, then add your chickpea flour.  Blend until combined.  You should have a nice spoonable batter.  Not so wet you can pour it out of the blender, but not dry either.  I used a large spoon to place drop into a lined muffin tin.  Baked at 350 for 35 minutes, until the tops were browned.  This made 10 veggie muffins for me, which will vary for you depending on how watery your veg, how big your eggs, etc.  These muffins will be a great portable veggie for S, and also a great snack for M in the mornings.  Gotta switch it up from egg muffins every now and then, you dig?

Hope you like them!  These would be even better with some cheese melted on top, or a little bit of pastured butter.  After all, there's no fat/oil in these, apart from yolks!  And there is no end to the variations you can create- asparagus/mushroom, zucchini/red pepper, broccoli/carrot, whatever!  Just be sure to get the excess water out and you'll be golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment