Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dressing made with Yogurt

AAaaarghhh I had a whole post finished and then I accidentally deleted and have to start over!  Ugh!  Oh well.  Today's post is about a super easy recipe for homemade ranch dressing- I cannot understand why it took me this long to make some.  No cooking involved, just stirring.  I have been searching high and low for an acceptable ranch dressing that I could feel good about giving S, but they either have a bunch of gross preservatives, sugar, HCFS, starch, or are made with soy derivatives or some other such product.  Ick.

Perusing Pinterest as I am wont to do, I found many a recipe that were almost what I was looking for, but not quite.  They all called for sour cream, for one.  Finally, after giving it some thought, I came up with this delightfully creamy, thick, tangy, and decadent tasting ranch dressing, that is made with YOGURT!  Yogurt folks.  No one would ever ever know.  I promise.  If I were a real rock star I would make this with homemade mayo- but I haven't gotten there yet.  If you have the balls to make some, here is a great recipe.

Homemade Ranch Dressing with Yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup yogurt (I used plain non-fat european style from TJ's
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp mayo (mine is reduced fat canola oil mayo from TJ's)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried chives
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp seasoned salt

Stir to combine and pour into your jar/bottle.  This makes 2 1/2 cups.  My jar only held 2 cups so the rest I'm bringing to a friend.  This is super tangy and tastes so.... fresh!  Seriously.  When I think about all that processed junk they call dressing, all I can think about is chemicals and plastic and god knows how long it was sitting on the shelf.  Honestly- if the individual ingredients aren't actually food, and for some reason it can sit on a shelf at room temp for an eternity at the grocery store- how on earth do we just universally accept it as food?  It's not food!  It's an engineered chemical edible product.  Barf.  However, this probably will not last too terribly long, even in the fridge.  Well, it shouldn't anyways.  But no way would I throw this out in two weeks if it still smelled and tasted good.  Uh uh.  I made a big batch of ketchup like, months ago, and after defrosting some a month ago it's still in the fridge, and I'm still gonna use it, and I don't care. It's not bad, I think people get really super conservative about telling you when to throw stuff out.  You can throw out your half-eaten perfectly good homemade condiments whenever you want!  But me, I'll hang on to 'em until they start to look/taste weird.

S is starting to get a wee bit pickier about eating her veggies, so I figure this ranch should do the trick when her green beans are causing a tantrum.  Spinach has become a recent new fave when I add a touch of cream cheese and some kosher salt.  I do like ranch a lot, although I've never been one to slather it on pizza, sandwiches, french fries, tater tots etc, not that I eat that stuff anymore anyways.  What's your favorite way to eat ranch?

Happy eating GFG's, xoxo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment