Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Do you ever feel full on a grain-free diet?

If you are contemplating becoming a GFG, this question may have occurred to you.  I think there is a common misconception that you need grains, and lots of them, to feel full.  Grains can and will make you feel full.  Even full to the point of that horrible, overstuffed, you never want to eat another bite of food again full.  Until your blood sugar crashes that is, and you want more carbs.  But in my opinion there are two kinds of full.  There is full, like- I've had plenty of food and I'm not hungry anymore, pleasantly satisfied, that sort of thing, and then there is the horrible uncomfortable bloated full.  I suppose some people might not mind that feeling but I happen to HATE it.  UGH!  So- yes it is entirely possible to feel full and satisfied as a GFG, but most likely you will not ever feel uncomfortably overfull.  It is just really difficult to overeat to that point.  But no one wants to feel hungry all the time or feel like they can't eat and be sated.  I promise, you can, and will be totally satisfied as a GFG.  Here is a great example, my Turkey Sausage and Flageolet (fancy word for white beans) Vegetable Stir Fry.





1 tablespoon EVOO or coconut oil
1 turkey kielbasa, sliced
1 head of cauliflower, sliced into florets
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 red onion, sliced
1 can rinsed and drained white northern beans
1/2 bag of arugula (optional, I used it as a bed for the stir fry)
Salt/pepper to taste, plus any other spices you like- I used paprika and cayenne

I actually used my non-stick wok for this!  It worked out AMAZING!  Because all the veg take up quite a bit of space in the pan, and have a tendency to go sliding out onto the stove-top which just means more clean-up, I thought I may as well give the wok a try.  The high sides not only kept everything inside the pan, but gave me a much larger cooking surface.  I highly suggest it!  Heat tablespoon of oil in pan and then toss in onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes or so.  After onion and celery have begun to brown a bit, toss in cauliflower florets.  Season a bit more and stir, thoroughly until cauliflower is cooked.  At this point you'll want to add in the beans and stir to combine, then turkey sausage.  The sausage is already cooked so you are just warming it through.

This makes an enormous quantity, enough to feed four very hungry people, especially if you serve on a bed of greens.  The combination of beans, arugula, cauliflower, and sausage is incredibly filling, but a happy, healthy full.  My husband likes to eat big portions and get second helpings, and that's something you can feel good about with this meal.  And you will 100% feel full afterwards.  But not so full you won't be able to indulge in a yummy GFG dessert later!

No comments:

Post a Comment