Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, Cocoa-nut Banana Bread

So I am completely drowning in work-related events right now and barely have the time to breathe but as a fledgling blogger/foodie/grain-free connoisseur I just had to try to come up with an acceptable banana bread that I might actually be able to indulge, in small amounts of course!  That is just how important banana bread is I suppose!  And thankfully, gratefully, I think I pretty much got it on the first try!  Now if that is not an enormous accomplishment for a crappy baker like myself, I don't know what is!  Next time, I will bake for an extra 3 or 4 minutes though, and I will also omit the eggs in place of 2 extra flax-eggs to make it vegan (and perfectly edible raw I might add!)

Cocoa-nut Banana Bread
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut flour
4 Tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
3 bananas
2 eggs
2 flax-eggs (meaning, 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, mixed with 6 tablespoons of water, allow to sit for five minutes, or for Vegan just do 4 flax-eggs)
1/4 heaping teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar substitute
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup canola oil (or coconut oil)

Mash bananas until mushy but still clumpy- I prefer to use frozen very brown, overripe bananas that I've defrosted in the microwave.  Add vanilla, then beaten eggs with flax-egg mixture.  Add sugar substitute to canola oil and stir, then adding to wet mixture.  In separate bowl, sift cocoa powder, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda, then stir to combine.  Add in wet mixture and stir, careful not to overstir.  Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 325 for 45minutes, maybe even a touch longer.  Mine only baked for 42minutes and DEFINITELY needed the extra three minutes.  It's a bit undercooked, but should be good tomorrow.  OMG the raw mixture was so delish.  That's why next time I'd love for it to be vegan so I could eat it raw without getting a stomachache- but that would reduce its protein content a smidge.  Obviously this recipe is certainly NOT carb-free as it has 3 whole bananas.  It does have about 4 or 5 grams of fiber and about 4 or 5 grams of protein per serving, and about 180 calories, not bad!  Plus the Omega-3s!  Use Omega-3 eggs and you'll be in even better shape! 

The recipe was awesome!  I can't wait until I get an i-phone so I can start taking pics and uploading them!  It really is delish!  Try it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment