Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Elana's Almond Flour Savory Cupcake

Reading Healthy Indulgences a week or so ago, she had posted an awesome looking recipe from Elana's Pantry for a savory cupcake.  Not usually having any kind of "bread-y" type accoutrement for dinner, I decided to try it out yesterday with my Fish with White Wine and Lemons! The recipe was incredibly simple and only a few ingredients.  Of course I just had to jew it up to suit my own personal tastes.  So rather than a scallion goat cheese cupcake, behold my:


Pic from Healthy Indulgences
 Chive Cream Cheese Almond Flour Savory Cupcakes
(gluten, grain, and sugar free)

1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (I have been using Bob's Red Mill- but will be trying the bulk WF kind when I run out.  I have not been having problems with runny batter like Elana.)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
3 large eggs
1/2 cup thinly sliced chives
6 tablespoons cream cheese.  I used Neufchatel (sp?).


Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line or spray muffin tin for 6 muffins. 
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda, and black pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil and eggs. Blend the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined, then stir in the chives.

Scoop 3 tablespoons of batter into each prepared muffin cup, then press 1 tablespoon of cheese into each muffin.

Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted 1/2 inch from the edge of the muffin (to avoid the goat cheese center) comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then serve.
Wow- they are DELISH you guys!  So good!  They sort of taste a bit like those little crust-less quiche muffins you may have tried at a brunch.  Very savory and a fun flavor profile.  Try them!  I served it with my white fish with lemons and wine.  It was really great meal, served with sauteed green beans, grape tomatoes, green onions, and mushrooms.  Use What You Have Night was definitely a success.  Throwing in the tomatoes and mushrooms was a last minute addition- as I had leftover mushrooms going bad in the fridge, plus an extra pint of tomatoes (TJ's accidentally gave me an extra pint for free!) and scallions for my Friday recipe. 
I'll also be trying a recipe I found for Coconut Bread- it calls for honey or agave which I'll be leaving out- I'll post it shortly!  With my tweaks of course!

Ok here it is, adapted from Chocolate and Carrots

Pic from Chocolate and Carrots
Coconut Flour Paleo Bread
  • 1 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup nut milk/light coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 3 flax eggs
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey (I am going to sub 2T unsweetened applesauce)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Mix all ingredients together.
  3. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Edited 7.29.11
This morning trying this recipe, I decided I wanted it to be more dessert-y so I made a few more adjustments.  It came out ok, but not great.  It's lacking moisture, so next time I am going to double the amount of nut milk I used.  Here it is with my adaptations:

  • 1 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup plus 1T nut milk/light coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 3 flax eggs
  • 3 tablespoons sweetener
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350.  Whisk eggs then combine with flax eggs (make sure you have let them sit awhile!), then adding vanilla, oil, and nut milk.  In separate bowl, sieve coconut flour and combine with salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and sweetener.  Mix wet into dry, then pour into loaf pan.  Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Remember, coconut flour is like a sponge.  If it seems to dry and spongey raw, its going to be dense and mealy.  This would be excellent served with some jam, PB, homemade nutella, or even coconut butter!  Get creative and make some banana coconut frosting!  (Blend banana and coconut butter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment