Grain Free, Sugar Free Coconut Cream Pie
Coconut Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- In large bowl, combine almond flour and shredded coconut.
- Over low heat, melt coconut oil, remove from heat, and whisk in stevia and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients into almond flour mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Press dough into pie dish and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- 2 cans light coconut milk
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups dark or unsweetened chocolate chunks or chips
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional topping)
- Reserve 1/4 cup coconut milk. In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining coconut milk and salt to a boil; whisk constantly for 1 minute, then decrease heat to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the arrowroot in the reserved coconut milk, stirring to make a paste. Raise the heat under the saucepan to high and add the paste to the saucepan, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the chocolate, stirring vigorously until it is completely melted. Let the filling cool, then pour the mixture into the crust. Top with toasted unsweetened shredded coconut and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set before serving.
Here is the recipe with my changes:
Bitter Chocolate Almond Flour Scookies (Makes about 20)
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup sugar sub
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, room temp
|Pic of HEAB's Scookies!|
The reason I'm so stoked about this recipe is because you could sooooooooo easily make a zillion different kinds of scookies (they are really pretty cookie-like using my recipe) for instance; apricot cinnamon, cranberry orange, chocolate walnut, etc! The base recipe is simple- (dry) almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, plus (wet) coconut oil, egg, almond milk mixture, vanilla, and then flavorings. Like 1/4 cup chopped apricots and 1/4 cup raisins, or 1/2 cup unsweetened cherries or cranberries with 2 tsp orange zest. Or- reduce the almond flour by 1/4 cup and replace with 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and add in 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Since MKG is not a bitter chocolate fan, I'll be trying apricot next. I've also noticed that when making no sugar desserts- cinnamon really helps take away some of the bitterness- and add a little sweet. So I use it more often than not.
Here's a couple pics, just cuz!